At the Clubs
Look who’s been spotted at ClubCorp clubs ... golf courses receive honors ... wedding and tournament distinctions
Several clubs resembled red-carpet venues last spring with all the high-profile guests passing through their doors.
A few of the notables:
• Former President George H. W. Bush and former first lady Barbara stopped by the Houston Club to check out the newly renamed George and Barbara Bush Ballroom. Superstar Bette Midler also visited the club when she was in town for Houston’s Brilliant Lecture Series, where she spoke about her life as an entertainer and philanthropist. While at the club, Midler dined on a three-course meal prepared by executive chef Doug George and his culinary team.
• While visiting Norfolk, Va., former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani was a guest at Town Point Club, where he spent time with and honored Navy Seals.
• Sam Champion, former weather anchor for ABC’s Good Morning America, who recently switched to a new role at the Weather Channel, served as keynote speaker for an Atlanta Press Club luncheon at the Commerce Club.
• Florida Gov. Rick Scott dropped in for breakfast at the Centre Club in Tampa.
• During the NCAA Final Four tournament held in the Dallas-Fort Worth area in April, the Tower Club hosted comedian Conan O’Brien, who broadcast his late-night talk show from Dallas the week of the event. Also in town for the college basketball showdown, Green Bay Packers fullback John Kuhn and former Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs small forward Michael Finley were spotted at the club, too.
Audubon International has designated the golf course at East Lake Woodlands Country Club in Oldsmar, Fla., as a certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary, noting that the course is environmentally efficient and a good habitat for the plants and wildlife that call the course home.
The American Junior Golf Association honored Country Club of the South in Johns Creek, Ga., with its Charitable Giving Award for the club’s Junior Classic event. The tournament raised more than $48,000 for the American Red Cross and the ACE Grant program, which provides financial support to junior golfers in need.
Brides-to-be, take note: The Orange County Association of Bridal Consultants named the recently reinvented Center Club in Costa Mesa, Calif., “Best New Venue”in its fifth annual Trendsetter Awards.
Golfweek magazine included both 18-hole golf courses at Vista Vallarta in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in its 2014 ranking of “Best Caribbean & Mexico Courses.”